Monday, March 14, 2011

In the past week....


  • I passed out while watching 127 Hours. For those of you who don't know, this is a true story about a young man named Aaron Ralston who survived 127 hours in a canyon with his hand trapped between a boulder and the canyon wall. After being stuck for five days, Aaron finally comes to terms with the fact his only chance of survival is to amputate his arm. He does this by applying enough force on his arm to break his radius and ulna, and then proceeded to hack away at his flesh with a dull pocket knife. You think that sounds bad? Well what came next was what really did me in....he had to dig deep in his muscle tissue and rip through the nerves and tendons with his fingers because the knife wouldn't cut them. Now, this was simply more than I could handle. I started to get the familiar pre-pass-out tunnel vision, something that I have learned to recognize and manage in other circumstances, but I didn't even have a fighting chance this time! I was literally out within seconds, falling onto the shoulder of my friend sitting next to me. I awoke from dreamland moments later, all sweaty and nauseous and feeling sooooo embarrassed that I passed out in front of my friend....while watching a movie, hahahaha! I am already looking forward to the numerous blackouts that will occur during PA school....I only pray that I get over it quickly!

  • I "competed" in an indoor triathlon. The reason I put "completed" in quotations is because I didn't really go into it with the intention of anything other than surviving. It was only a 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike and a 20 minute run, so I knew it wouldn't be too difficult.....but since I am historically a sprinter and had never done anything like this before (or swam or biked in a year), I decided to play it safe. For each event, I settled into a comfortable pace and stayed relaxed, not wanting to overexert myself. Well as it turned out....I succeeded in under-exerting myself, haha. I mean, how does a person do any kind of triathlon and not even feel tired or sore afterward?!  I would have liked to at least feel a little pain to show I did something! So in the end I placed 6th out of 8 competitors total, all of whom were at least 10-30 years older than I. Looking back, I wish I had pushed myself....but at least now I know what to expect for the next time!

  • One of my very best friends, Anna Louisa Leutheuser, got engaged to Will Dunham!!! ("I could not have parted with you, my Anna, for anyone less worthy"). I am so so so so soooooo excited for them and I simply cannot wait for their wedding this fall! After living with Anna for four years, I am certain that it will be the most beautiful wedding of all time because she has been planning it for years....believe me, I've seen pictures of "the vision" and they're stunning! I love you, Anna. Someday I will be calling you to come help my mother plan my wedding....because I am clueless!

  • I GOT A GUITAR!!! And it's a GIBSON! WOOOHOOOOO!!! I have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar but have never had the opportunity. Now, I am so very grateful to have been given this amazing gift by a great musician that I have come to know during my time in Okemos. I wish I knew how to repay him for his kindness. I feel so blessed :)

4 comments:

  1. Katie, we need to have a passing out club. Now I know I should not go see that movie!

    Nice work on the tri!!! What event are you doing at Ginas? I think, I'm going for the 5k!

    I didn't know Anna got engaged! That is so exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I haven't really thought about it much! I'll probably do the long jump...if only to laugh at myself....and I don't know what else! Maybe the Wyld Bill 5k and some javelin?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...I totally just teared up at work because of that P&P quote :)

    I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that learning to play your guitar beautifully will be worth more than anything you could give him! :)

    ReplyDelete