Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Scrub a dub dub...

illustration: three men in a tub.

Scrub a dub dub
Three men in a tub
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker
Scrub 'em up, one, two, three!

First, let's all agree with how weird and incredibly creepy this nursery rhyme is! Who in the world ever thought it was a good idea to put three men in a tub together and then share it with children?! No thanks!
Secondly, and more on the point of my intent, I realized tonight while "scrub a dub dubing" a resident that my favorite thing about working at the assisted living home is shower time. Now.....before you think I'm a creeper or have some sort of strange old people fetish, let me explain why I treasure bathing my residents.

Being responsible for the needs of twenty elderly people, plus cleaning, laundry, dishes, phone calls and whatever the heck else....is a hefty task. Everyday I wish I had more time to give to my residents. I wish I could get to know them better....their life history, their favorite memories, and even their favorite color for that matter....and I really wish I could do more to make their lives just a little bit better by simply being their friend. However, it's hard to spend even five minutes with anybody before I'm called to my next duty.....unless we're in the shower room. This is our sanctuary. This is where I can spend twenty minutes of quiet, uninterrupted quality time with my resident. This is where I really get to know them. And this is where I grow to love them.

(Maybe I'd rather not be washing their booties during this special bonding time....but I guess the pros outweigh the cons lol).


No comments:

Post a Comment