Thursday, January 10, 2013

My beef with baggers



I, Kathryn Renee Mueller, got beef with baggers. I bet you do, too, if you think about it....

It seems like common sense, right? Put similar purchases in the same bag and avoid putting canned-goods with fruits and vegetables; try using as few bags as possible, and for the sake of Mother Earth, NEVER put a single item in one bag because that is just plain wasteful [granted I could fix that problem if I was a better citizen who remembered to bring reusable bags to the grocery store...but that's not the point here]. 

So, what really happens when one goes to the grocery store? Let's take today for example: I was shopping at Walmart because I had to buy a few non-food items. As always, I stood in line and began placing items on the belt, grouping things that I thought should be bagged together - all things in boxes go together, all fruits and vegetables go together, canned and bottled goods together...etc. - it made perfect sense to me. In my estimation, it should have taken about 4 plastic bags. I ended up with about 10.

The question burning the biggest hole in my mind is this: why is it a crime to put non-food items with food items?? I really don't care if my box of tampons is in the same bag as my box of cereal! It most certainly doesn't need it's own bag, and I highly doubt my Mini Wheats are at risk of catching the plague by associating with feminine products. And do you care if your deodorant is in the same bag as your mustard?? I don't. But for some perplexing reason, baggers do....

Oh, the mysteries of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment